A postdoctoral fellowship and a PhD student fellowship are available from September 2020 in the lab of
Dr. Arianna Calcinotto at the international Institute of Oncology Research (IOR) that is affiliated toUSI
– Università della Svizzera Italiana. The lab is embedded in a large and vibrant immunology community in
the sunny part of Switzerland. The research interests of the lab are focused on cancer immunotherapy
with a major goal of creatively approaching this problem to develop novel therapies (Calcinotto et al.
Nature 2018; Calcinotto et al. Nature Comm 2018). We are currently interested in blocking the pathogenic
pro-tumoral activity driven by infiltrating-immune cells within the tumour microenvironment, instead of reactivating the beneficial anti-tumour immune response as has been pioneered by immune-checkpoint
inhibitors and CAR T cells therapies. Projects ongoing in the lab are identifying the mechanisms underlying
the contribution of the innate immune cells to cancer susceptibility and how they regulate later stages
of breast cancer progression. The group is synergizing its cancer immunology expertise with IOSI (Istituto
Oncologico della Svizzera Italiana), which has a long historical tradition of clinical oncology in breast cancer
and initiating new clinical trials.
- PhD or MD/PhD (obtained or soon to be)
- At least one major first-author original research publication, the ability to drive discovery by working independently, interacting with a multicultural group
- A highly motivated and ambitious person with outstanding training in cancer immunology or basic immunology
- Experience with multi-parameter flow cytometry, in vitro assays with primary immune cells and use of mouse models
- Candidates with a background in humanized mouse models are also encouraged to apply
PhD student position
- A highly motivated and enthusiastic person with a strong interest in cancer immunology
- At least one year of previous experience in the lab working in cancer and/or the immunology field would be highly desirable
The IOR is part of the Università della Svizzera Italiana (USI) and offers state-of-the-art labs and facilities,
a thriving environment, exciting research projects and multiple occasions to interact with world leaders in
the fields of cancer, basic immunology, and cancer immunology (see International PhD Program). Bellinzona
is a beautiful city, close to the city of Lugano where in collaboration with ETH, the USI has recently set
up a Faculty of Biomedicine that offers new exciting possibilities for carrier development. Moreover, the
city of Milan is one hour away from Bellinzona. The posts are funded by a 3-year research programme. Salary
will follow the standard of the IOR PhD and postdoctoral fellow salary scale that is in line with the rest
For inquiries please contact Arianna Calcinotto, firstname.lastname@example.org
Complete applications, including a cover letter, CV and two references should be sent by e-mail to email@example.com, reference: AC_PostDoc2020 or AC_PhD2020.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited for a one-day on-site interview.