Group Leader: Arianna Calcinotto, PhD
The Cancer Immunotherapy lab is devoted to study breast cancer and focuses on a different way of conceiving immunotherapy, understanding the pathogenic crosstalk between tumour cells, the tissue-specific bacteria and the tumour-infiltrating immune cells in breast cancer initiation, progression, and treatment-resistance to develop novel effective therapies for the treatment of hormone-dependent breast cancer patients and prevention in individuals with germline BRCA mutations.
- Characterization of the myeloid landscape of human ER+ breast tumours
- The contribution of tumour-infiltrating myeloid cells in dictating tumour clonal evolution
- The role of the gut and tissue-associated microbiota in pathogenic myeloid cell differentiation
- Grioni M, Brevi A, Cattaneo E, Rovida A, Bordini J, Bertilaccio MTS, Ponzoni M, Casorati G, Dellabona P, Ghia P, Bellone M and Calcinotto A. CD4+ T cells sustain aggressive chronic lymphocytic leukemia in Emu-TCL1 mice through a CD40L-independent mechanism. Blood Adv(2021) 5, 2817-2828.
- Montopoli M, Zorzi M, Cocetta V, Prayer-Galetti T, Guzzinati S, Bovo E, Rugge M and Calcinotto A. Clinical outcome of SARS-CoV-2 infection in breast and ovarian cancer patients who underwent antiestrogenic therapy. Ann Oncol (2021) 32, 676-677.
- Mukherjee S, Elia AR and Calcinotto A. Role of myeloid-derived suppressor cells in hormone-dependent cancers. Swiss Med Wkly (2021) 151, w20483.
- Pernigoni N, Zagato E, Calcinotto A, Troiani M, Mestre RP, Cali B, Attanasio G, Troisi J, Minini M, Mosole S, Revandkar A, Pasquini E, Elia AR, Bossi D, Rinaldi A, Rescigno P, Flohr P, Hunt J, Neeb A, Buroni L, Guo C, Welti J, Ferrari M, Grioni M, Gauthier J, Gharaibeh RZ, Palmisano A, Lucchini GM, D'Antonio E, Merler S, Bolis M, Grassi F, Esposito A, Bellone M, Briganti A, Rescigno M, Theurillat JP, Jobin C, Gillessen S, de Bono J and Alimonti A. Commensal bacteria promote endocrine resistance in prostate cancer through androgen biosynthesis. Science (2021) 374, 216-224.
- Zorzi M, Guzzinati S, Avossa F, Fedeli U, Calcinotto A and Rugge M. SARS-CoV-2 Infection in Cancer Patients: A Population-Based Study. Front Oncol (2021) 11, 730131.
- Calcinotto A, Kohli J, Zagato E, Pellegrini L, Demaria M and Alimonti A. Cellular Senescence: Aging, Cancer, and Injury. Physiol Rev (2019) 99, 1047-1078.
- Calcinotto A, Spataro C, Zagato E, Di Mitri D, Gil V, Crespo M, De Bernardis G, Losa M, Mirenda M, Pasquini E, Rinaldi A, Sumanasuriya S, Lambros MB, Neeb A, Luciano R, Bravi CA, Nava-Rodrigues D, Dolling D, Prayer-Galetti T, Ferreira A, Briganti A, Esposito A, Barry S, Yuan W, Sharp A, de Bono J and Alimonti A. IL-23 secreted by myeloid cells drives castration-resistant prostate cancer. Nature (2018) 559, 363-369.
- Calcinotto A, Brevi A, Chesi M, Ferrarese R, Garcia Perez L, Grioni M, Kumar S, Garbitt VM, Sharik ME, Henderson KJ, Tonon G, Tomura M, Miwa Y, Esplugues E, Flavell RA, Huber S, Canducci F, Rajkumar VS, Bergsagel PL and Bellone M. Microbiota-driven interleukin-17-producing cells and eosinophils synergize to accelerate multiple myeloma progression. Nat Commun (2018) 9, 4832.